He completed a Licenciatura (BSc+MSc) in Biology at the University of Evora (Portugal). After, he became a Fellow of the International Graduate School in Genetics and Functional Genomics of the University of Cologne (Germany), where he received his PhD in Genetics (summa cum laude). After a brief period as a visiting scientist at Harvard Medical School in Boston (USA), he worked as a post-doctoral scholar in the lab of Linda Buck (Nobel Laureate in Physiology and Medicine 2004) at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle (USA). As he became an EBI–Sanger Postdoctoral (ESPOD) Fellow, he moved to Cambridge (UK), where he continued his postdoctoral training at the EMBL-EBI and the Wellcome Sanger Institute. Since October 2015, he is a Principal Investigator and Director of the Metabolism and Diabetes Program at the research branch of Sidra Medicine. Additionally, he is an Adjunct Assistant Member at the Monell Chemical Senses Center (Philadelphia, USA) and Adjunct Assistant Professor at Hamad bin Khalifa University (Doha, Qatar).
Our laboratory is interested in unravelling molecular mechanisms underlying specific neural and metabolic processes and to understand their dysfunction in the brain and metabolic disorders. We have a special interest in the neurobiological basis of nutrition and obesity, and in understanding how genetic variation, environment, gender and age may impact these mechanisms. In our research we collaborate with clinicians and employ an integrative strategy combining a wide range of established techniques (e.g., molecular biology, genetics, and behavior) with omics technologies (e.g., spatial and single-cell RNA-seq), resorting to animal models and humans. Ultimately, we hope to discover basic processes that we can translate into personalized treatment options for patients affected by neural, metabolic and endocrine diseases..
Diogo Manoel, PhDStaff ScientistEmail: dmanoel (@) sidra.orgMelanie Makhlouf, PhDPostdoctoral FellowEmail: mmakhlouf1 (@) sidra.orgSusie Huang, PhDPostdoctoral FellowEmail: shuang (@) sidra.orgSmija Kurian, PhDResearch SpecialistEmail: skurian1 (@) sidra.orgEman H. Abou-Moussa, BScResearch SpecialistEmail: eaboumoussa (@) sidra.orgAsma Al Naama, BScResearch SpecialistEmail: aalnaama2 (@) sidra.orgReem Hasnah, BScResearch Specialist | MSc StudentEmail: rhasnah1 (@) sidra.org
Selected Publications (†equal contribution, *corresponding):
- Saraiva, LR*; Aguilera, FRM; Mezzavilla,M; Abou-Moussa, EH; Arayata, CJ; Makhlouf, M; Trimmer, C; Ibarra-Soria, X; Khan, M; van Gerven, L; Jorissen, M; Gibbs, M; O'Flynn, C; McGrane, S; Mombaerts, P; Marioni, JR; Mainland, JD; Logan, DW*. “A transcriptomic atlas of mammalian olfactory mucosae reveals an evolutionary influence on food odor detection in humans”. Sci Adv(2019) 5(7):eaax0396.
- Manoel, D; Makhlouf, M; Scialdone, A;Saraiva, LR*. “Interspecific variation of olfactory preferences in flies, mice, and humans”. Chem Senses(2019) 44(1):7-9.
- Ibarra-Soria, X; Nakahara, TS; Lilue, J; Jiang, Y; Trimmer, C; Souza, MAA; Netto, PHM; Ikegame, K; Murphy NR; Kusma, M; Kirton, A; Saraiva, LR; Keane, TK; Matsunami, H; Mainland, JD; Papes, F; Logan, DW.“Variation in olfactory neuron repertoires is genetically controlled and environmentally modulated”. eLife (2017) 6:e21476.
- Ambrosi, TH; Scialdone, A; Graja, A; Gohlke, S; Jank, A-M; Woelk, L; Fan, H; Logan, DW; Schürmann, A;Saraiva, LR; Schulz, TJ. “Adipocyte accumulation in the bone marrow during obesity and aging impairs stem cell-based hematopoietic and bone regeneration”. Cell Stem Cell (2017) 20: 1–14.
- Lam, BYH; Cimino, I; Polex-Wolf, J; Kohnke, SN; Rimmington, D; Iyemere, V; Heeley, N; Cossetti, C; Schulte, R; Saraiva, LR; Logan, DW; Blouet, C; O’Rahilly, S; Coll, AP; Yeo, GSH.“Heterogeneity of hypothalamic Pro-opiomelanocortin-expressing neurons revealed by single-cell RNA sequencing”. Mol Metab (2017) 1-10.
- Saraiva, LR; Kondoh, K; Ye,X; Yoon, K-h; Hernandez, M; Buck LB.“Combinatorial effects of odorants on mouse behavior”. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (2016) 113(23):E3300-6.
- Saraiva, LR†; Ibarra-Soria†, X; Khan, M; Omura, M; Scialdone, A; Mombaerts, P; Marioni, JC; Logan, DW. “Hierarchical deconstruction of mouse olfactory sensory neurons: from whole mucosa to single-cell RNA-seq”. Sci Rep (2015) 5:18178.
- Saraiva, LR†; Ahuja, G†; Syied, A; Ivandicic, I; Marioni, JC; Korsching, SI; Logan, DW. “Molecular and neuronal homology between the olfactory systems of zebrafish and mouse”. Sci Rep (2015) 5: 11487.
- Achim, K†; Pettit, JB†; Saraiva, LR; Gavriouchkina, D; Arendt, D; Marioni, JC. “High-throughput spatial mapping of single-cell RNA-seq data to tissue of origin”. Nat Biotechnol (2015) 33(5): 503-9.
- Hussain, A †; Saraiva, LR†; Ferrero, SD †; Ahuja, G †; Krishna, VS; Liberles, SD; Korsching SI. “High affinity olfactory receptor for the death-associated odor cadaverine”. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (2013) 110(48): 19579-84.