Qatar Poison Center contest focused on the dangers of poisonings and how to prevent them
Doha, Qatar, 02 June 2019: Sidra Medicine has announced the winners of a school-based art contest for students in Qatar. The aim of the contest was to highlight the dangers of poisonings and how to prevent them. It was open to students aged five to thirteen years.
The art contest was hosted by the Qatar Poison Center, a call center launched by Sidra Medicine that provides poisoning management advice through a free confidential helpline (4003 1111). The call center manages poisoning cases in adults and children alike.
Commenting on the contest, Chair of the Children’s Emergency Department at Sidra Medicine, Prof. Khalid Al Ansari said: “Congratulations to the winners of our first contest. We were thrilled to see the enthusiasm from the students as we received over 400 entries from different schools across Qatar. It was very hard for the team to choose the winners – as each entry was unique and drove home the messages related to poisoning or poison prevention. One of the Qatar Poison Center’s mission is to prevent poisonings through public education and awareness programs. Engaging the students through the contest was a wonderful and fun way to raise awareness about poison control. I would also like to thank Qatar’s Ministry of Education and Higher Education for their support in helping us reach out to the schools for the competition as well as Ooredoo Qatar for their contribution of some of the prizes.”
Ages 5-7 Category
1st Prize: Vikaashinee Satish - Compass International School
2nd Prizee: Tooba Tasneem - Shantiniketan Indian School
Ages 8-10 Category
1st Prize: Aashita Biju - M.E.S Indian School
2nd Prize: Yousef Osama - Doha Academy School
Ages 11-13 Category
1st Prize: Harini Muthukumaran - Modern Indian School
2nd Prize: Fatema Sultana - Bangladesh MHM School & College
Overall winner, all age categories: Huda Alhasan - Ruqaya Independent Schools
.www.sidra.org لمزيد من التفاصيل حول سدرة للطب يرجى زيارة
- Ends -
The Qatar Poison Center Helpline seeks to prevent injury due to poisoning with the following tips:
1. BE PREPARED: Save the Qatar Poison Center number, 4003 1111 on your mobile phone, and display it at home and work in case of a poisoning emergency.
2. KEEP POISONS AND MEDICATIONS IN THEIR ORIGINAL CONTAINER. Whether a cleaning product, pesticide, or medication, anything placed in a different bottle or container may be mistaken for a drink or food. Never place any poison in a bottle or container that is used for drinking.
3. PRACTICE SAFE STORAGE HABITS. Store the following things where children cannot see or touch them:
- All medications and pharmaceuticals, including over-the-counter medicines, and vitamins
- Tobacco and e-cigarette products, especially liquid nicotine
- Laundry and cleaning supplies
- Pesticides and insect repellants
- Button batteries
- Other chemicals
4. READ AND FOLLOW LABELS AND DIRECTIONS. Make a habit of reviewing the label on any potentially hazardous substance or product prior to use, especially before administering medications.
5. DETECT INVISIBLE THREATS. Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.