Congenital Cardiovascular Surgery
Pediatric and congenital cardiac surgery is a subspecialty of Thoracic and Cardiovascular surgery. It involves the treatment of children and adults with congenital heart malformation.
Congenital Cardiac Surgery encompasses the diagnosis, care, and operative treatment of structural abnormalities involving the heart and major blood vessels. Although these defects generally result from congenital malformations, they may also include acquired defects in infants and children. Congenital cardiac surgeons care for patients from the fetus to the adult.*
* THE AMERICAN BOARD OF THORACIC SURGERY, Subspecialty Certification in Congenital Cardiac Surgery, BOOKLET OF INFORMATION 2019
Our 2-years fellowship includes:
- Pre and post-operative care of patients.
- MDT meeting attendance and management.
- Operative experiences.
- Formal lectures provided locally and internationally.
- Participation in the on call rota for cardiac surgery.
- Participation in the catheter laboratory and intensive care unit.
Goals and Objectives
- Understand the diagnosis and indications in pediatric and congenital cardiac surgery.
- Understand post-operative management.
- Perform basic procedures.
Clinical Training and Key Rotations
|Pediatric cardiac surgery: 3 MDTs, 3 operative days And 2 clinics Per week|
|Participation in CICU care Daily|
|Participation in Catheterization laboratory procedures When needed|
|Presentation And attendance of teaching lectures|
- Completion of an ACGME-I accredited or equivalent residency training program in Adult or Pediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- Board certification in core specialty (Adult or Pediatric Cardiac Surgery).
- Hold a valid Medical License or be eligible for licensure in Qatar (click here for more details).