Prof. Ziyad M. Hijazi MDChief, International Patients Services and Chair, Department of Cardiovascular Diseases Years Of Experience: 38
Prof. Hijazi has nearly 40 years of experience in Congenital Cardiology and has pioneered several ground-breaking Interventional procedures in the field. He is an internationally recognized leader in the nonsurgical repair of congenital and structural heart defects in children and adults and in the development of novel trans-catheter devices.
Prof. Hijazi joined Sidra Medicine in 2014, during which time he established the hospital’s Department of Pediatrics and world-class Heart Center; staffed by some of the top pediatric specialists and healthcare professionals from across the globe. The Heart Center provides treatment (medical, interventional, electrical and surgical) for patients with congenital or acquired heart disease.
Prof. Hijazi also successfully set up Sidra Medicine’s International Medical Office which has facilitated international patients to access to several specialist services, including cardiology, urology, plastics and neurosurgery among others. Over the course of three years, Sidra Medicine has saved the lives of hundreds of children from the MENA region, including India, Pakistan, North and South America.
Prof. Hijazi is a true academician and research cardiologist with over 360 published papers and nine books. He also runs many clinical trials related to novel technologies.
- Performed the first multiple coil closure of patient ductus arteriosus (PDA) in (1993).
- Was the first in the United States to use the Amplatzer device to close atrial septal defects (ASDs) in 1997.
- Was the first to describe how intra-cardiac echocardiology can be used to assist in guiding transcatheter closure of ASDs in children and patent formen ovale (PFO) in (2000)
- Was the first in the United States to perform percutaneous valve implantation for patients with defective pulmonary valves using the Edwards SAPIEN valve in (2005).
- Was the first in the United States to perform periventricular pulmonary valves implantation without cardiopulmonary bypass in (2008)
- Expert in transcatheter closure of para valvar mitral and aortic leaks.
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Structural Heart Disease
- Has more than 350 manuscripts in peer reviewed journals and edited 8 books.
- Is course director for the Pediatric Interventional Cardiac Symposium (PICS), which annually attracts more than 800 professionals from more than 60 countries.
- In 2008, became the 31st president of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions ( SCAI)
- Is routinely selected by Chicago magazine as a “Top Doctor” in his field.
- In 2011, Mayor Thomas Menino declared July 24th,2011 as the Ziyad M. Hijazi day in Boston, MA
- Interventional Fellow - Pediatric Cardiology
Yale New Haven Hospital New Haven ,CT - 1991
- Post Doctoral Fellow - Pediatric Cardiology
Yale University School of Medicine New Haven ,CT - 1991
- Department of Pediatrics
Yale New Haven Hospital New Haven ,CT - 1988
- Department of Pediatrics
Yale New Haven Hospital New Haven ,CT - 1987
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
Yale University School of Medicine New Haven ,CT - 1986
- Rotating Internship
King Hussein Medical Center - 1983
Jordan University School of Medicine Amman-Jordan - 1983
- American Board Pediatrics
- Sub Pediatric Cardiology
- American Board Internal Medicine-Sub board Adult Congenital Heart Disease