The Pediatric Infectious Diseases Fellowship at Sidra Medicine is a three-year ACGME-I accredited program, our program is designed to provide pediatricians who have completed general pediatric training with a broad array of training opportunities.
The fellowship program offers an effective teaching curriculum for fellows to acquire the appropriate medical expertise and decision-making skills to practice as independent Pediatric Infectious Disease consultants.
The program provides a broad range of clinical experiences. In addition to consultations in general and subspecialty pediatric services, fellows will be gaining experience from other services such as the oncology, pediatric, and neonatology intensive care units, and the various transplant programs.
Goals and Objectives
Our goal is to prepare individuals to excel as future leaders in the field of pediatric infectious diseases by providing a diverse curriculum that includes opportunities in clinical infectious diseases in pediatric, bench and translational research, clinical epidemiology, antimicrobial stewardship, infection prevention and control, QI, medical education, and global health.
The overall goal of the Pediatric Infectious Disease fellowship is to prepare the fellow for independent practice of clinical Pediatric Infectious Disease. The goals and objectives are set to meet the 6 core competencies set by the ACGME-I framework.
- Participation in safe, effective, and compassionate patient care.
- Developing an understanding of ethical, socioeconomic, and medical/legal issues that affect graduate medical education and how to apply cost-containment measures in patient care.
- Participation in the educational activities of the training program, assumption of responsibility for teaching and supervision of other residents and students, and participation in institutional orientation, education programs, and other activities involving the clinical staff.
- Participation in institutional committees to which the fellow is appointed or invited.
- Developing competencies in each of the six areas.
- Developing sufficient competence to enter practice without direct supervision
Performance of these duties by the established practices, procedures, and policies of the primary and other institutions, including its clinical departments and other university programs.
Clinical Training and Key Rotations
Fellows are encouraged to develop the skills needed to be future leaders in the field. The three-year training experience includes submersion in the clinical experience in the first year followed by two concentrated years of mentored research time. Fellows develop novel scholarly projects leading to publications and presentations of their studies at national and international meetings.
Our Fellows obtain in-depth exposure to microbiology, virology, immunology, Community, clinical pharmacology, antibiotic stewardship, and infection prevention and control as they relate to patient care, training in the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases, and scholarship.
Experience with adult infectious diseases is provided through rotations in an adult infectious diseases training program or an organized adult infectious diseases service supervised by a qualified adult infectious disease specialist.
Fellows are also given the opportunity to gain outpatient exposure via participation in a variety of clinical settings including the general pediatric ID clinic, Tuberculosis at Sidra Medicine, the fellow also will have the opportunity to expose to HIV infection/prevention, travel clinic at the communicable Disease center rotation, and a community-wide immunization program at the Community Rotation.
|Inpatient pediatric consultation services|
|Outpatient Pediatric Infectious Disease (weekly)|
|Adult Infectious Disease at HMC|
|Microbiology, Virology Rotation (Sidra & HMC)|
|Infection Prevention & Control Rotation|
- Completion of an ACGME-I accredited or equivalent residency training program in Pediatrics.
- Board certification in core specialty (Pediatrics).
- Hold a valid Medical License or be eligible for licensure in Qatar (click here for more details).