Dr. Haris received his bachelor’s degree in life sciences with major in Chemistry, and later completed his master in Biochemistry. He earned his Ph.D. in Biomedical Imaging from Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India in 2007. Afterwards, he did his postdoctoral fellowship in the department of Radiology at Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA, and subsequently he became research scientist in the same department. During his tenure at Penn, he developed various novel MR imaging methods to image metabolites in vivo with potential applications in cancer, cardiovascular disorders, and neurological & neurodegenerative diseases. He was the first to develop an MR method for imaging cellular energetics by targeting creatine recovery kinetics using CEST MRI. Dr. Haris joined the research department at Sidra Medicine as a Principal Investigator in October 2013. Also, he holds an Adjunct Professor appointment at Qatar University.
His research focuses on developing and optimizing novel noninvasive MRI methods for diagnosing and studying physiological and functional aberrations in various human pathologies. Recent development in chemical exchange saturation transfer (CEST) MRI methods is focusing on quantifying and mapping the low concentration endogenous metabolites, such as glutamate, myoinositol, and creatine to address various human disorders at the molecular level. At Sidra, Dr. Haris and his lab members are venturing into new areas, such as developing new contrast methods in MRI, and methods for monitoring response to cancer immunotherapy in vivo. Dr. Haris and his team are also focusing on neuroimaging-genetics approach to identify new biomarkers for the early diagnosis of neurological disorders, such as Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), by integrating the multimodal brain imaging with genomic data. Dr. Haris’s lab is dedicated to serve as a center of excellence in imaging science and technology through intensive interactions with academia, industry, and other laboratories in Qatar and abroad
Santosh K Yadav, PhDStaff ScientistEmail: syadav (@) sidra.orgAjaz A Bhat, PhDPost-doctoral FellowEmail: abhat (@) sidra.orgSheema HashemResearch SpecialistEmail: shashem (@) sidra.orgSabah NisarResearch SpecialistEmail: snisar1 (@) sidra.orgAmer MubarakResearch SpecialistEmail: amubarak (@) sidra.org
- Maacha S, Bhat AJ, Jimenez L, Raza A, Haris M, Uddin S, Grivel JC. Extracellular vesicles-mediated intercellular communication: roles in the tumor microenvironment and anti-cancer drug resistance. Mol Cancer (2019) 18(1):55.
- Khan AQ, Kuttikrishnan S, Siveen KS, Prabhu KS, Shanmugkonar M, Al-Naiemi H, Haris M, Dermime S, Uddin S. Ras-mediated oncogenic signaling pathways in human malignancies. Semin Cancer Biol (2019) 54:1-13.
- Yadav SK, Gupta RK, Hashem S, Bhat AJ, Garg RK, Venkatesh V, Gupta PK, Singh AK, Chaturvedi S, Ahmed SN, Azeem MW, Haris M. Changes in resting-state functional brain activity are associated with waning cognitive functions in HIV-infected children. Neuroimage Clin (2018) 20:1204-10.
- Haris M, Bagga P, Hariharan H, McGettigan-Croce B, Johnson LA, Reddy R.Molecular Imaging Biomarkers for Cell-based Immunotherapies. J Transl Med (2017) 15(1):140.
- Dorsey SM, Haris M, Singh A, Witschey WRT, Rodell CB, Kogan F, Reddy R, Burdick JA. Visualization of Injectable Hydrogels using Chemical Exchange Saturation Transfer MRI. ACS Biomater Sci Eng (2015) 1(4): 227-37
- Haris M, Singh A, Cai K, Kogan F, McGarvey J, Debrosse C, Zsido GA, Witschey WR, Koomalsingh K, Pilla JJ, Chirinos JA, Ferrari VA, Gorman JH, Hariharan H, Gorman RC, Reddy R. A technique for in vivo mapping of myocardial creatine kinase metabolism. Nat Med (2014) 20(2):209-14.
- Haris M, Singh A, Imran M, Ittyerah R, Nath K, Nanga RP, Debrosse C, Kogan F, Cai K, Poptani H, Reddy D, Hari H, Reddy R. In vivo Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Tumor Protease Activity. Sci Rep (2014) 4:6081.
- Kogan F, Singh A, Debrosse C, Haris M, Cai K, Nanga RP, Elliott M, Hariharan H, Reddy R. Imaging of glutamate in the spinal cord using GluCEST. Neuroimage (2013) 77: 262-7.
- Cai K, Haris M†, Singh A, Kogan F, Greenberg JH, Hariharan H, Detre JA, Reddy R. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Glutamate. Nat Med (2012) 18(2): 302-6.
- Haris M, Cai K, Singh A, Hariharan H, Reddy R. In vivo mapping of brain myo-inositol. Neuroimage(2011) 54(3): 2079-85.