Ziyad HijaziMD,MPH,FAHA,FACC,MSCAIActing Chief Medical Officer, Chair - Pediatric Medicine; Program Director - Cardiovascular
Years Of Experience: 38
- Pediatric Cardiology
Acting Chief Medical Officer, Chair of Pediatric Department, Director, Sidra Medicine Cardiac Program
- Is internationally recognized leader in the nonsurgical repair of congenital and structural heart defects and in development of novel transcatheter devices.
- Performed the first multiple coil closure of patient ductus arteriosus (PDA) in (1993).
- Was the first in the United States to use the Amplatzer device to close atrial septal defects (ASDs) in 1997.
- Was the first to describe how intra-cardiac echocardiology can be used to assist in guiding transcatheter closure of ASDs in children and patent formen ovale (PFO) in (2000)
- Was the first in the United States to perform percutaneous valve implantation for patients with defective pulmonary valves using the Edwards SAPIEN valve in (2005).
- Was the first in the United States to perform periventricular pulmonary valves implantation without cardiopulmonary bypass in (2008)
- Expert in transcatheter closure of para valvar mitral and aortic leaks.
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Structural Heart Disease
- Has more than 350 manuscripts in peer reviewed journals and edited 8 books.
- Is course director for the Pediatric Interventional Cardiac Symposium (PICS), which annually attracts more than 800 professionals from more than 60 countries.
- In 2008, became the 31st president of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions ( SCAI)
- Is routinely selected by Chicago magazine as a “Top Doctor” in his field.
- In 2011, Mayor Thomas Menino declared July 24th,2011 as the Ziyad M. Hijazi day in Boston, MA
Interventional Fellow - Pediatric Cardiology
Yale New Haven Hospital New Haven ,CT - 1991
Post Doctoral Fellow - Pediatric Cardiology
Yale University School of Medicine New Haven ,CT - 1991
Department of Pediatrics
Yale New Haven Hospital New Haven ,CT - 1988
Department of Pediatrics
Yale New Haven Hospital New Haven ,CT - 1987
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
Yale University School of Medicine New Haven ,CT - 1986
King Hussein Medical Center - 1983
Jordan University School of Medicine Amman-Jordan - 1983
- American Board Pediatrics
- Sub Pediatric Cardiology
- American Board Internal Medicine-Sub board Adult Congenital Heart Disease
Interventional Cardiology, Congenital and Structural Heart Disease
Congenital and Structural Heart Disease
- 2004 Outstanding Editorial Board Member of the Year, Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions
- 2005 Appointment as the George M. Eisenberg Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, University of Chicago
- America’s Top Doctors Award, The Nation’s Leading Medical Specialists
- 2006 Recognition as Founder of Pediatric Interventionald Cardiac Symposium and Ten Years of Dedication and Service
- 2011 Appointment as the James A Hunter MD, University Chair, Rush University
- 2011 Boston City Award in Recognition for Contributions to Field of Cardiology
- 2012 Charles E. Mullins Interventional Lecture Series Award: In Recognition of Excellence
- 2012 The 2012 Frank Hildner Elite Reviewer Award presented by the Editorial Office of Cardiac Catheterization and Interventions
- 2014 Master of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
- 2014 Leader in Chldren’s Heart Care, Visionary Award presented by The Children’s Heart Foundation
- 2015 The Shield of the Higher Council for Science and Technology
- 2017 CSI Asia-Pacific Achievement Award
- 2017 Honorary Professor at the University of Jordan
- 2017 Land Mark lecture: Interventional Cardiac Catheterization
- 2018 Mentorship award from PICES
- 2019 Honored by the State of Kuwait among those who helped children