Ziyad HijaziMBBS,MPH,FAHA,FACC,MSCAIActing Chief Medical Officer, Chair - Pediatric Medicine; Program Director - Cardiovascular
Years Of Experience: 38
- Pediatric Cardiology
Acting Chief Medical Officer, Chair of Pediatric Department, Director, Sidra Medicine Cardiac Program
- Is internationally recognized leader in the nonsurgical repair of congenital and structural heart defects and in development of novel transcatheter devices.
- Performed the first multiple coil closure of patient ductus arteriosus (PDA) in (1993).
- Was the first in the United States to use the Amplatzer device to close atrial septal defects (ASDs) in 1997.
- Was the first to describe how intra-cardiac echocardiology can be used to assist in guiding transcatheter closure of ASDs in children and patent formen ovale (PFO) in (2000)
- Was the first in the United States to perform percutaneous valve implantation for patients with defective pulmonary valves using the Edwards SAPIEN valve in (2005).
- Was the first in the United States to perform periventricular pulmonary valves implantation without cardiopulmonary bypass in (2008)
- Expert in transcatheter closure of para valvar mitral and aortic leaks.
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Structural Heart Disease
- Has more than 350 manuscripts in peer reviewed journals and edited 8 books.
- Is course director for the Pediatric Interventional Cardiac Symposium (PICS), which annually attracts more than 800 professionals from more than 60 countries.
- In 2008, became the 31st president of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions ( SCAI)
- Is routinely selected by Chicago magazine as a “Top Doctor” in his field.
- In 2011, Mayor Thomas Menino declared July 24th,2011 as the Ziyad M. Hijazi day in Boston, MA
Interventional Cardiology, Congenital and Structural Heart Disease
Congenital and Structural Heart Disease