Omar Mendoza Mahmood MA,PhDPsychologist ; Clinical Director-Psychology Years Of Experience: 18
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services | Psychology
About the Physician
Dr. Mahmood is the Acting Clinical Director of Psychology at Sidra Medicine. He has been a clinician in the Department of Psychiatry since 2017. In addition, Dr. Mahmood is the site director of Psychology Training at Sidra Medicine, overseeing the supervision of practicum students and psychology interns. Prior to joining Sidra, Dr. Mahmood was a Staff Neuropsychologist at Executive Mental Health, in Los Angeles, California and an Assistant Project Scientist in the Department of Psychiatry at UC San Diego where he was involved in cognitive neuroscience research on brain maturation and function. He frequently gives community lectures on topics of mental health, brain development, and psychology from an Islamic perspective. In addition, he has served as an ad-hoc reviewer for various peer reviewed scientific journals in the fields of substance use, psychology, neuropsychology, and neuroimaging.
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.S. degree)
- Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan (M.A., Ph.D. degrees)
- University of California, San Diego and the VA San Diego Healthcare System (APA Psychology Internship)
- UC San Diego School of Medicine. (Postdoctoral Fellowship)
- Assistant Professor of Psychology in Clinical Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Adjunct Clinical Professor and Director of Practicum Training, Doha Institute for Graduate Studies
- Clinical Psychology
- Cultural Competence with Mental Health Services
- Psychology training and supervision
- Cultural and Linguistic appropriateness in Psychological Assessment and Intervention
- Adam, B. & Mahmood, O.M. (2021). The Role of Culture, Stigma, and Bias on the Mental Health of Arab American Youth. In R Parekh, C Al-Mateen, M Lisotto, & R Carter (Eds.) Cultural Psychiatry With Children, Adolescents, and Families. American Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Vlahou CH, Petrovski G, Korayem M, Khalaf FA, Awaa AE, Mahmood OM, Azeem MW; Outpatient Clinic wide psychological screening for children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes in Qatar: An initiative for integrative healthcare in the Gulf region. Pediatr Diabetes 2021; 1-8
- Mahmood, O.M. & Ahmed, S.R. (2015). Psychological assessment: Distinguishing the clinically relevant from the culturally unique. In: Amer, M & Awad, G, editors. Handbook of Arab American psychology. Routledge.
- Mahmood, O.M. (2015). Neuropsychological assessment in the Arab world: Observations and challenges.
INSNET: Bulletin of The International Liaison Committee of the International Neuropsychological Society, 35(1), 4–6