Mohammad Rubayet HasanPhD,FCCM,D(ABMM)Clinical Molecular Microbiologist
- Microbiology and Virology
Mohammad Rubayet Hasan (PhD) is a Clinical Molecular Microbiologist at the Department of Pathology, Sidra Medicine. He also holds a faculty appointment with Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q) as an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Dr. Hasan joined Sidra in 2014 with a mission to play an inaugural, leading role in the establishment of a state of the art, molecular diagnostic laboratory for infectious diseases. He will provide clinical and scientific oversight of routine and specialized, molecular diagnostic testing for infectious diseases. He will also be actively involved in the planning, execution and direction of educational and research activities in the division.
Prior to joining Sidra Dr. Hasan was a Laboratory Scientist for the Microbiology and Virology laboratories of British Columbia Children’s and Women’s Hospitals in Vancouver, Canada and was a Clinical Assistant Professor of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Canada. With a background in molecular biology, he has been involved in teaching, research and the design, development and validation of numerous, molecular assays for bacterial and viral pathogens, which was successfully implemented for patient service in the diagnostic laboratory of BC Children’s and Women’s Hospitals.
Dr. Hasan is a Diplomate of American Board of Medical Microbiology (DABMM) and a Fellow of Canadian College of Microbiology (FCCM). He obtained his PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology from Kyushu Institute of Technology, Japan in 2006 and worked as a postdoctoral researcher in several North American educational institutes, including the University of California, Berkeley, USA and the University of British Columbia, Canada. His research activities over the last fifteen years resulted in more than twenty international, peer reviewed publications and the publication of two book chapters. His current research focus is the application of novel technologies, including next generation sequencing, to the diagnosis of infectious diseases. Dr. Hasan is a member of American Society of Microbiology and Canadian Association of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.
- Depletion of Human DNA in Spiked Clinical Specimens for Improvement of Sensitivity of Pathogen Detection by Next-Generation Sequencing
- Evaluation of amplification targets for the specific detection of Bordetella pertussis using real-time polymerase chain reaction
- Innate immune control of EBV-infected B cells by invariant natural killer T cells
- Optimal use of MRSASelect and PCR to maximize sensitivity and specificity of MRSA detection
- Comparative evaluation of laboratory developed, real time PCR assays and RealStar® BKV PCR Kit for quantitative detection of BK polyomavirus