Mamoun ElawadMD,MRCP,FRCPCH,MBBSDivision Chief - Gastroenterology
Years Of Experience: 32
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
Chief, Gastroenterology/ Hepatology/ Nutrition Division
Director – Inflammatory Bowel Disorders
Dr. Elawad has his training in Pediatric gastroenterology at Great Ormond Street, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, Oxford John Radcliff Hospital and King’s College Hospital. He worked as a consultant Paediatric gastroenterologist at University Hospital of Wales and Birmingham Children’s Hospital before he rejoined Great Ormond Street Hospital in 2002 as a consultant gastroenterologist and senior lecturer at the University College of London. He joined Sidra Medical and Research Center in 2014 as a Chief of Paediatric Gastroenterology and a section head of inflammatory bowel disorders.
He has been the head of the department at Great Ormond Street since 2007 until he joined Sidra. During this period he led the department to the largest ever expansion and restructure of the service to attract 3 main nationally funded programs that included gut rehabilitation and small bowel transplant, intestinal pseudo-obstruction. He then became the founder and the director of the first worldwide pioneering program for Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant for autoimmune and inflammatory gut diseases. He was also the director of the department international collaboration “ImproveCareNow”, which involves 87 pediatric gastrointestinal units in the United States, with GOSH being the only center outside the United States. This collaboration sets the standards of management of children with inflammatory bowel diseases and is a unique quality improvement and research tool that attracts more than 20,000 patients. He was also the co-founder of the European GENIUS group that oversees the diagnosis and the treatment of children with Early onset inflammatory bowel diseases.
Dr. Elawad was a member of the clinical committee of ImproveCareNow, member of the council of CAPGAN and member of the inflammatory bowel disease working group for BSPGHAN. He was also the co-author of the worldwide strategy for implementation of pediatric endoscopy produced by the FISPGHAN.
Dr. Elawad has been a senior lecturer at the Institute of Child Health – University College of London and his main research areas of interest are autoimmune gut disorders, genetics of inflammatory bowel disease, Early Onset Inflammatory Bowel Disease and GI food allergy. He has many publications in the field of inflammatory bowel disease, molecular genetics of early onset inflammatory bowel disease, Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant for refractory inflammatory bowel diseases and food allergy.
- Specialities: Allergic Gut Diseases, Autoimmune Gut Diseases, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy, Gastroenterology, Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Distinctions: Prize in General Medicine, Pediatric Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Psychiatry and Primary Health Care
Publications, 5 Most Recent
- Stem cell transplantation for tetratricopeptide repeat domain 7A deficiency: long-term follow-up; Sept.1, 2016; Elawad Mamoun, Kammermeier J, Lucchini G, Pai SY, Worth A, Rampling D, Amrolia P, Silva J, Chiesa R, Rao K, Noble-Jamieson G, Gasparetto M, Ellershaw D, Uhlig H, Sebire N, Notarangelo L, Shah N, Veys; 2016 Sep 1;128(9):1306-8. doi: 10.1182/blood-2016-01-696385...
- The role of exclusive enteral nutrition in the management of orofacial granulomatosis in children; July 2016; Elawad Mamoun, Mutalib M, Bezanti K, Kiparissi F; World J Pediatr (Jul 2016). doi:10.1007/s12519-016-0045-7...
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterisation of inflammatory bowel disease presenting before the age of two years; June 14, 2016; Elawad Mamoun, Kammermeier J, Dziubak R, Pescarin M, Drury S, Godwin H, Reeve K, Chadokufa S, Huggett B, Sider S, James C, Acton N, Cernat E, Gasparetto M, Noble-Jamieson G, Kiparissi F, Beales PL, Sebire NJ, Gilmour K, Uhlig HH, Bacchelli C, Shah N; J Crohns Colitis. 2016 Jun 14. pii: jjw118. [Epub ahead of print]...
- Histopathological features of gastrointestinal mucosal biopsies in children with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.; Feb. 16, 2016; Elawad Mamoun; Pichler J.; Ong C; Shah N.; Sebire N., Kiparrissi F, Borrelli O, Pilkington C.; Pediatr Res, 2016 Feb 15. doi:10.1038/pr.2016.27.
- Glutamine for induction of remission in Crohn’s disease; Feb. 8, 2016; Elawad Mamoun, Akobeng Anthony, Gordon M.; Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 Feb 8; 2:CD007348