Jauro Kuna GajiMRCP,FRCPCH,CCST,MBBS
Senior Attending Physician
Dr Kuna completed his training in Paediatrics and Neonatology in the UK and was awarded the certificate of completion of Specialist training (CCST) by the CCST Specialist Training Authority of the Medical Royal Colleges UK in 2002.
He graduated from Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Nigeria in 1987. Following his internship and National service, Dr Kuna was awarded a scholarship to study for the Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Paediatrics course at the Institute of Child Health, University of London. He obtained the Diploma with Distinction in 1993.
Dr Kuna subsequently joined the NHS and after completing his MRCP program, he was successful in getting a training number for the then newly established Specialist Training program. After his core Paediatrics training, he continued with Neonatol subspecialtyalty training program which he completed in August 2002.
He was appointed Consultant Neonatologist at University Hospital Lewisham in September 2002. Being a surgical Unit, Dr Kuna developed a keen interest in Neonatal Nutrition and took an active role in the Nutrition team. He was initially a core member of the team but subsequently lead the team until his appointment at Sidra. He is also a keen teacher and in addition to teaching the Medical students of the Kings College Medical School, he also acted as a mentor and clinical supervisor to students. He taught and supervised Paediatric specialist Trainees from the London School of Paediatrics rotating through the Neonatal Unit at Lewisham. Additionally, Dr Kuna has held a number of positions and undertaken different roles while working at University Hospital Lewisham. These include but not limited to the following:
- Clinical Director for Neonatology from 2013 until appointment at Sidra
- Clinical lead for Neonatology 2011 to 2013
- Represented the Hospital at the South London Neonatal operational delivery network clinical oversight group
- Member of the Child Death overview panel (CDOP) for the London Borough of Lewisham
- Local Audit lead for National Neonatal Audit program
- Audit Lead for Paediatric Department
- Local lead and Member of the Confidential enquiry into maternal and Child death for the London Borough of Lewisham
- Represented the Neonatal Unit in the South London clinical leaders group to review services in South London (Sustainability and Transformation Program)
- Educational and clinical supervisor for trainees from the London Deanery School of Paediatrics.
- Research – Lead local investigator in the PIPS (probiotic in the preterm infant study) multicenter trial.
Dr Kuna joined Sidra Medicine in September 2017 as a Senior Attending Physician in Neonatology.His special interests includes follow up in the HRIF clinic, Teaching and ECMO.
English, Hausa, Kanuri