Dr. Gbemisola Okunoye FRCOG,FWACS,MBA,MBBSDivision Chief of Obstetrics Years Of Experience: 26
About the Physician
Dr Gbemisola (Shola) Okunoye is the Division Chief of Obstetrics at Sidra Medicine. He joined Sidra Medicine as a Senior Attending Physician in 2014. He is an experienced and passionate clinician with unique expertise and specialized skills in the care of pregnancies complicated by medical disorders, particularly Diabetes. He provides personalized and quality obstetric care that stretches from pre-pregnancy period right through to the post-partum period. Dr Okunoye believes that pregnancy is a unique lifetime event and he maintains an inclusive approach as he supports pregnant women and their families through the different phases of pregnancy and childbirth. He provides an unhurried service, always with a smile. He actively supports a process of continuous improvement in the quality of care in hospitals through his expertise and training in healthcare education, leadership and quality. Prior to relocating to Qatar, he worked as a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist at the University Hospital of South Manchester, where he was the Lead for the Maternal Medicine service.
Years Of Experience26 Education
Undertook initial medical training at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. He completed his postgraduate training in Obstetrics and Gynecology with advanced skills in Maternal Medicine and Labour Ward Leadership at the Simpson’s Centre for Reproductive Health in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. He also has a certificate in Medical Education.
Dr Okunoye holds an MBA from the University of Leicester, UK and a Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership and Strategy from the Chattered Management Institute (CMI), UK.
- Weill Cornell Medicine Qatar-Assistant Professor
- Formerly Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Manchester Medical School
Areas of Interest
- Maternal Medicine and High risk Obstetrics
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- Pre-pregnancy Health
- Post bariatric surgery pregnancy
- Menopause and Post Reproductive health.
- Certified as a Tier 3 Educator by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (RCOG), UK in 2015. Previously served as a preceptor for Maternal Medicine training and the RCOG Regional Lead for the Advanced training in Labour Ward Leadership for the North West UK(Manchester) training program.
- Currently an instructor for the Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO) course in Qatar and participates actively in the delivery(teaching) of the undergraduate curriculum at Weill Cornell Medicine, Qatar.
- Led the delivery of three international women’s health conferences at Sidra covering Diabetes, Obesity, Reproductive health, and topical issues in women’s health.
- Holds membership of professional organizations including Membership of the Association of Medical Educators in Europe (AMEE), Edinburgh Obstetric society and the British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society(BMFMS).
- Babarinsa I, Okunoye G.O, Odukoya, O. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS-CoV) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infections in pregnancy-An overview. European Journal Of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Biology.263(2021) 171-175
- Ahmed, M., Bashir, M., Okunoye, G.O., Konje, J., Adrenal Disease and pregnancy-an overview. The Obstetrician Gynaecologist.2021
- Okunoye G., Konje J., Antepartum Haemorrhage, in Oxford Textbook of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019
- Jayaram PM, Okunoye GO, Abdullah AA, Ghani R, Kalache K. Expectant management of caesarean scar ectopic pregnancy: a systematic review. J Perinat. Med. 2017; aop
- Okunoye GO, Konje J, Lindow S, Perva S. Gestational Diabetes in the Gulf Region: Streamlining care to optimise outcome. Journal of Local and Global Health Science 2015:2