Group CEO of Care UK and Chair of its Health Care and Residential Care Business
Living in Sevenoaks, UK, married to Karen with three adult children. Keen on sports, various fitness activities and photography.
Group CEO of Care UK and Chair of its Health Care and Residential Care businesses. Appointed CEO in 2001 since when it has grown tenfold. The business was listed on the London Stock exchange until 2010 when it was delisted with private equity investor Bridgepoint. In 2015 Care UK sold its community care, learning disabilities and mental health businesses.
Care UK now comprises Health Care and Residential Care services with annual turnover of c£750m:
- 9 treatment centres, c80,000 elective surgery procedures per annum, plus 5 clinical assessment and diagnostic centres, almost entirely for NHS patients
- NHS 111 / urgent care / out of hours GP provision; c25% market share in England
- 4 NHS GP practices, plus telephone consultation support to a further 17 practices. New practices being rolled out with digital front end, 24/48 hour telephone / face to face consultation, strategic partnership with high street pharmacist Boots
- Primary and mental health provision in 45 prisons, c37% market share
- 120 nursing care homes with c8,000 beds, specialising in dementia care
- Largest development of new care homes in the sector – 60 homes over 10 year development programme
- Addition of new public sector capacity through 25 year contract partnerships with local authorities
- Sector leading quality with 85% of homes rated Good or Outstanding
Chair of Unity Schools Partnership Trust, a multi academy schools group with total annual income of c£50m, comprising 6 secondary schools, a special educational needs school, 15 primary schools and a teaching school.
The academy group rapidly developed from its original school, Samuel Ward. Governance struggled to keep pace with expansion and since becoming Chair in 2017 a new CEO has been appointed, several new board appointments made and substantially improved financial control embedded.
Chair of the NHS Partners Network 2008/10 and Trustee of the NHS Confederation 2010/15
CEO Exel Logistics Global Industrial Division, responsible for c£2bn turnover across c20 countries. Global supply chain and logistics firm, formerly known as the National Freight Consortium and now part of Deutsche Post trading as DHL.
Graduate trainee in 1982 through to main board director (FTSE 100) in 1998, departing in 2001. Previously CEO Exel Europe and founder Managing Director of Tradeteam, a joint venture with Bass Brewers.