Effective hand washing is a vital way to prevent the spread of infection and bacteria such as MRSA, Clostridium difficile, Salmonella and the flu virus.
Val Harmon, Infection Control Manager at Sidra shares some tips on the best way to wash your hands.
Top tips for effective hand washing
1. Remove all jewelry and watches before washing.
2. Wet hands with water and apply enough soap to cover all hand surfaces
3. Rub hands palm to palm
4. Put your right palm over the back of the other hand with interlaced fingers and vice versa
5. Rub palm to palm with fingers interlaced
6. Put the back of your fingers to opposing palms with fingers interlocked
7. Do rotational rubbing of left thumb clasped in right palm and vice versa
8. Do rotational rubbing backwards and forwards with clasped fingers of right hand in left palm and vice versa
9. Rinse hands with water
10. Dry thoroughly with a towel
11. Use elbow to turn off tap
12. Steps 3 – 8 should take at least 15 seconds
For detailed instructions, you can also check out this video from the World Health Organization.