Dr. Joao Pippi Salle is the Division Chief of Urology. Dr. Salle specializes in genitor-urinary reconstructive surgery and has made several important contributions in the areas of hypospadias, disorders of sex development and urinary incontinence.
He is an innovative surgeon and has developed new techniques and approaches for feminizing genitoplasty. In his current clinical post at Hamad Medical Corporation, Dr Salle has performed five types of surgery that are the first of their kind in the country:
- Hypospadias repair (Dorsal inlay tubularized urethroplasty)
- Bladder exstrophy repair (bilateral reimplante and bladder neck repair at time of primary closure)
- New correction of ventral penile curvature (doing the transverse cuts of tunica albuginea followed by direct coverage of preputial graft)
- New correction of dorsal penile curvature in epispadias repair (doing the external rotation of corpora cavernous)
- New approach for urogenital sinus (the ASTRA approach).
Dr. Salle has been a visiting professor in 29 countries, conducting master classes in the management of hypospadias and disorders of sex development. In the past year, he has been keynote speaker and guest surgeon delivering workshops on hypospadias repair in Bologna Italy, Mostar Bosnia, Astana Kazakhstan, Nis Serbia, and Caxias Brazil. He has also been keynote speaker and guest surgeon on “surgery for DSD in adolescents” in Bogota, Colombia to an audience of 200, and on “vaginoplasty for DSD” in Dallas, USA, which was broadcast to many countries. A complete list of his keynotes and conference invitations are detailed on page 37 of this report.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Salle has a prolific publication record and is active in teaching students at Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar.